Vegan Pumpkin Soup ft. Sweet Plantain
This Vegan Pumpkin Soup featuring Sweet Plantain, combines American and Caribbean classics, to create a delightful party in your mouth. Perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas or any holiday occasion! Hearty and memorable. Vegan and plant-based!
Whether you’re in America enjoying Thanksgiving autumn spices, across the ocean in Liberia enjoying bountiful harvest community fruit baskets, or the Netherlands where Dutch cookies are served after a gratitude church service, almost every culture has its variants of Thanksgiving around the world. And all involve good food!
Pumpkin is definitely one of the all-American, quintessential classics that makes this holiday super memorable to me. And so are plantains– thanks to my Dominican roots ;). So in honor of both, I thought, how yummy would it be to fuse two delicious cuisine-classics into one dish? And bam! A Vegan Pumpkin Soup too good to keep to myself!
The combo created an amazingly luscious, golden-dream any holiday table would relish.
The base for this recipe is roasted pumpkin & sweet plantain, blended with roasted onion and garlic, and a pop of fresh ginger-heat. If you like pumpkin, sweet plantain, and autumn spices, then more joy has come to your world 😉
Take it up a notch with a delicious swirl of cashew sour cream, and a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds.
Check out the video: Vegan Christmas Dinner where I show you how to make these awsome dishes.
Vegan Pumpkin Soup ft. Sweet Plantain
Prep Time: 1hr, 15mins
Good For: Lunch/ Dinner
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Soy-Free
- 3 cups of unsweetened plant milk
- 3 cups of pureed pumpkin
- 1 large roasted ripe sweet plantain
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth (DIY or premade)
- 1/2 roasted garlic
- 1/4 roasted onion (medium size)
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 3 tsp maple syrup
- 2-inch knob of fresh ginger root (equivalent to about 3 tsp of grated ginger root)
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1/3 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp of salt
- Preheat oven to 350-deg
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper
- Slice your pumpkin in half and scoop out the seeds. Set these aside so you can bake later and eat as a delicious snack.
- Slice each pumpkin half into several sections
- Brush each piece with a light coat of oil
- Place your pumpkin pieces on a baking sheet
- Lightly score 1 yellow plantain down the middle. Add this to your baking sheet.
- Cut half an onion. Add 1/2 an onion and one unpeeled clove of garlic to your baking sheet.
- Bake for about 50 minutes, or until a fork can easily pierce the skin of your pumpkin.
- When baking is done, let your pumpkin pieces cool down, and then scoop out 3 cups of pumpkin puree
- To a pot on medium heat, add plant-based milk, vegetable broth, pureed pumpkin, yellow plantain, cashews, ginger, *onion (just 1/2 of your 1/2), *garlic (just 1/2 a clove), maple syrup, thyme, and salt.
- Let this boil for about 10 minutes
- After the soup has cooled down, transfer to a blender, and blend until silky smooth. Alternatively, you can use an immersion blender in the pot.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve your soup, with some roasted pumpkin seeds and a drizzle of date syrup or cashew sour cream.
- *Start by adding just 1/2 of your roasted onion (approximately 1/4 of a roasted onion), and 1/2 of your roasted garlic clove to the pot. I find this measurement to be a sweet spot. However, after you blend, taste and adjust as necessary. If you prefer a more onion and garlic flavor, add the remaining 1/2 of your onion and 1/2 of your garlic.
- Remember to use a ripe yellow plantain in this recipe. Yellow plantains are sweet, unlike green plantains that aren’t. Yellow plantains sometimes have black spots, which is fine. The yellower/more spotty your plantain, the sweeter. If you can’t find a yellow plantain, green plantains will ripen in about 1-2 weeks, depending on the temperature where they’re stored. To speed up ripening, place your plantains in a paper bag. Just remember to check often.
- Soup keeps for about 4-5 days in the fridge, and up to a month in the freezer.
Three Game-Changers I Wish I Knew
BEFORE GOING PLANT-BASED
Want to transition to a plant-based diet without all the fuss?
I'll give you a FREE 3-part email series packed with 15+ years of my life-tested strategies to JUMPSTART your plant-based game for the win!
In the future, you'll also receive tips, recipes and resources to thrive on a plant-based diet. Your information is secure and will not be shared. Unsubscribe at any time.
Hey friend, I'm Mel!
I'm a certified holistic nutritionist, certified health coach, plant-based food instructor, and a certified personal trainer. My passion is helping people like you transition to a plant-based diet, with easy step-by-step strategies that work. I'm committed to empowering you to heal through a plant-based lifestyle so you can freely live out your God-given purpose and thrive. Let's start today!
Join The Conversation!