What’s for breakfast, you ask? Why, plantain porridge, of course!
This delicious dish is super quick, and uber tasty. It uses ripe plantains infused with flavors from ginger and vanilla to create a sweet, aromatic and comforting meal for the morning (or a chilly evening). Plantain is a popular breakfast food in many parts of the world, and it’s sure to start your day off right.
Plantains look like large bananas. They’re technically fruits, but they’re mainly cooked like a vegetable. You can eat them when they’re green or yellow. When they’re yellow, they’re ripe. And the darker yellow the plantain, the sweeter it is. If you buy a green plantain, you can ripen them by storing them at room temperature for about 10 days. Or you can cook them green much like you would yucca or a potato.
So go ahead and give it a try – you might just find that plantain porridge is your new favorite meal. Let me know how you find it! Leave a comment and don’t forget to tag a photo #choosingmyhealth on Instagram. Enjoy, friends!
Note: This recipe may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. See affiliate disclosure for more.
Recipe: Plantain Porridge
Ready In: 25 mins
Good For: Breakfast
Cuisine: Gluten-Free, Vegan, Oil-Free
- 2 ripe plantains
- 3 cups of plant milk
- ½ cup cashews
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 dates
- ¼ nub of ginger (optional)
- lemon zest (topping)
- Peel your plantains by cutting off ends, and gently score from top to bottom
- Peel off the skin as if it was a banana peel. FYI the peel makes a great plant fertilizer.
- Cut plantains into thick chunks
- Place your plantain chunks in a blender with plant milk, ginger, cashews, dates, and vanilla. Blend until silky smooth.
- Pour your blend into a medium-sized saucepan on low heat
- Pour in the rest of your milk and your cinnamon and keep stirring to avoid lumps.
- Continue stirring until you reach your desired consistency. The more the porridge cooks, the thicker it gets.
- Top with more cinnamon and a little bit of lemon zest
Sweeten to taste by adding more dates or an alternative sweetener, as each plantain’s sweetness will vary
Did you make this recipe? Tag @choosingmyhealth on Instagram and hashtag it #choosingmyhealth
Three Game-Changers I Wish I Knew
BEFORE GOING PLANT-BASED
Want to transition to a plant-based diet without all the fuss?
I'll give you a FREE 3-part email series packed with 15+ years of my life-tested strategies to JUMPSTART your plant-based game for the win!
In the future, you'll also receive tips, recipes and resources to thrive on a plant-based diet. Your information is secure and will not be shared. Unsubscribe at any time.
Hey friend, I'm Mel!
I'm a certified holistic nutritionist, certified health coach, plant-based food instructor, and a certified personal trainer. My passion is helping people like you transition to a plant-based diet, with easy step-by-step strategies that work. I'm committed to empowering you to heal through a plant-based lifestyle so you can freely live out your God-given purpose and thrive. Let's start today!
Join The Conversation!