Easy Vegan Chili Beans
Flavorful and comforting Easy Vegan Chili with dry beans perfect for anyone new to the vegetarian, vegan, or plant-based scene. Best yet, it’s healthy and adaptable! Oil and gluten-free!
This recipe is featured on my Youtube channel, in the HOW TO MAKE EASY CHILI BEANS | Vegetarian, Vegan, Plant-Based video.
This recipe pairs well with my VEGAN DOUBLE-STUFFED SWEET POTATOES | + Stretchy VEGAN Mozzarella Cheese!
So go ahead and give it a try and let me know how you find it! Leave a comment and don’t forget to tag a photo #choosingmyhealth on Instagram. Enjoy, friends!
Note: This recipe may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. See affiliate disclosure for more.
Recipe: Easy Vegan Chili Beans (Instant Pot)
Ready In: 1hr
Good For: Lunch, Dinner
Cuisine: Gluten-Free, Vegan, Oil-Free
- 1 lb or 3 cups dried pinto beans
- 1 large onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tbsp chili powder, or more to taste
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 3 cups fresh tomatoes or 1 (one) 28oz can diced crushed tomatoes with juices (fire roasted if possible)
- 2-3 tbs fresh jalapeno, finely chopped without seeds (optional, adds a nice kick of heat)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 – 2 tsp cocoa or carob powder, adds depth
- ¾ tsp cayenne pepper, or more for kick
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 ¾ tsp of salt (adjust as needed)
- 3 ¾ cups veggie broth + 3 tbsp of water for sauteeing veggies
- Highly recommended yummy garnishes: walnut meat, cashew sour cream, cilantro, avocado, scallions, lime wedges
- Soak your beans overnight in 7-8 cups of water. Alternatively, you can place your unsoaked beans in the Instant Pot with water just 1 inch above the level of the beans, and pressure cook for 11 minutes. Manually release, drain and set aside.
- Chop all your veggies: onion, garlic cloves, red bell pepper, fresh tomatoes (if you’re not using canned), fresh jalapeno, and gather all your spices.
- Turn your instant pot on sautee mode and add 3 Tbsp of veggie broth or water and saute your onion for 2-3 minutes.
- Next, add garlic and bell pepper and saute for another 1-2 minutes or so. Add a splash of veggie broth or water to deglaze the pot if needed.
- Now add your spices: chili powder, cumin, oregano, and saute for about 1 minute to cook spices.
- Add tomato, tomato paste, cocoa or carob powder, smoked paprika, chipotle powder, jalapeno, coconut aminos, maple syrup, cayenne pepper, salt, and veggie broth. Stir.
- Add pre-soaked or pressure cooked beans (drained).
- Set Instant Pot to high pressure for 25 minutes, and naturally release for 15 minutes.
- If you like your chili on the thicker side, feel free to stir in a tad bit of masa harina or masa corn flour, starting by sprinkling about a tbsp at a time until you get desired consistency.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed: coconut aminos for more umami, maple syrup for sweetness, cayenne for heat, salt or squeeze of lime for heightened flavor.
- Serve with any or all of the following toppings: walnut meat, cashew sour cream, cilantro, avocado, scallions, lime wedges
- Great for meal prep & freezer friendly!
- Feel free to mix your bean selection (black, pinto, kidney…any or all!)
- Stores in fridge for 3-4 days
Did you make this recipe? Tag @choosingmyhealth on Instagram and hashtag it #choosingmyhealth
Three Game-Changers I Wish I Knew
BEFORE GOING PLANT-BASED
Want to transition to a plant-based diet without all the fuss?
I'll give you a FREE 3-part email series packed with 15+ years of my life-tested strategies to JUMPSTART your plant-based game for the win!
In the future, you'll also receive tips, recipes and resources to thrive on a plant-based diet. Your information is secure and will not be shared. Unsubscribe at any time.
Hey friend, I'm Mel!
I'm a certified holistic nutritionist, certified health coach, plant-based food instructor, and a certified personal trainer. My passion is helping people like you transition to a plant-based diet, with easy step-by-step strategies that work. I'm committed to empowering you to heal through a plant-based lifestyle so you can freely live out your God-given purpose and thrive. Let's start today!
Join The Conversation!